[clean-list] Re: Will Clean remain freeware? (clean-list digest)

Siegfried Gonzi siegfried.gonzi@kfunigraz.ac.at
Thu, 23 Nov 2000 13:29:45 +0100

clean-list-admin@cs.kun.nl wrote:

> Eddy Van Esch wrote:
> > One thing crossed my mind and that is: will Clean remain freeware for
> > non-commercial users?
>
> Clean 2.0 will become open source, which means that it will be always free.

for Linux it will be a good thing to make it open source. But I think the Mac and Fenster version should be handled as before: For
non commercial use (maybe an expander to 'Shareware' is appropiate) it should be free and for commercial use it should get paid for
it. I am not a bussines man nor I am so intersted in marketing, but I think firms are used to pay (there are really firms out there,
which pay for Office and other strange and useless things).

I fear, that open source on Windows will be fatal. There are always guys out there, which want to change a possible open Clean. For
private use no problem. But what if there will be  5 different Cleans around than? (that was the situation with Forth in the 80's
and interferenced into the 90's)

The Mac will be not be affected from that, I think there are too few Mac users (with MacOS 10 or X the situation will change). That
is also the reason why Clean for the Mac should always be provided by the  Clean-team.

Open source is good for Linux and Unix, but, in my humble opinion, not so good for Mac and Windows. I am not against  open source (I
signed up a petition for the EU against 'software patents').

What will people do with open source? 99% of the computer useres are not capable of doing anything with it (like myself). I use it,
period.

Okay, that laws want Microsoft to show the code of Windows is comprehensible. But I think Clean does not affect the system (or
potential comrade-in-arms) like Kleinweich with Windows.

Regards,
S. Gonzi