[clean-list] Re: And Linux? (was Re: [ANN] Clean 1.3.3 released for Windows and MacOS)

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Jos=E9_Romildo_Malaquias?= romildo@urano.iceb.ufop.br
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 09:16:57 -0200

On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 02:00:05PM +0200, Martin Wierich wrote:
> Hi José,
>
> José Romildo Malaquias wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 02:13:41PM +0200, Martin Wierich wrote:
> > > Clean 1.3.3 for Linux (including the new ExtendedArith library) will be
> > > released in one month (plus the time that has to
> > > be added as it is usual with release date statements)
> >
> > How is going the work on Clean 1.3.3 for Linux? Do you think that
> > it is comming soon? I am really waiting for it and the ExtendedArith
> > library to conclude my master thesis project (a computer algebra
> > system library in Clean).
>
> We don't think that Clean 1.3.3 for Linux is coming soon.

Bad news! Only for curiosity, will Clean 2 be released at the
same time for all supported platforms (or better yet, for
Windows and Linux) at the same time? Or again Windows users
will be contemplated first, and latter on Macintosh, and
latter on Linux and Solaris?

> The ExtendedArith library needs this compiler version because it supports new
> ABC instructions specially built for BigInts (e.g. an ABC instructuion that adds
> two 32 bit integers and returns not only the sum but also a boolean that
> indicates whether an overflow happened). Typically the following happens: for
> instance the "+" function first checks whether it's arguments fit into 32 bit
> integers and if not calls a second function "addBB" to handle this case. "addBB"
> is written without any new ABC instructions (unlike the "+" function). It is not
> much work to redefine "+" to directly call "addBB". Then the library could be
> compiled with Clean 1.3.2, too. The code would of course be slower for small
> numbers.
>
> If you tell me what operations on BigInts you need I'll send you an
> ExtendedArtih library that works on Clean 1.3.2.

I need the basic operations on integers:

	negation
	addition
	subtraction (not essential, as x-y = x + (-y))
	multiplication
	division (quotient and remainder)
	power (not essential, as can be defined in terms of the others)

	equality
	relations (< <= > >=)

	toString
	fromString

If that is not too much, I would be thankful to you for it.

> greetings
>   Martin Wierich

Regards,

Romildo