Clean is loosing portability in favour of Windows :(

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Wed, 31 May 2000 10:40:13 +1200 (NZST)

I have been interested in Clean for three reasons:
1.  It is a nice language.
2.  It is available on all the machines I use and all the machines my
    students use.
3.  It is efficient.

It is important for the uses to which we put in (including a PhD student
hacking a stochastic parser) that Clean should work on UNIX.  Our use of
Windows was small, went up briefly, and is rapidly declining in favour
of Linux (in part on the advice of our Microsoft Certified expert).

If Clean support for UNIX falters, then I'm afraid it'll be SML or O'Caml
time here, with a spot of Hugs thrown in.

I remain deeply impressed by the work of the Clean time, grateful for the
good it used to to me, and hopeful that some rich organisation that likes
Linux will see the use of Clean.  (Hmm; I've been told that the German
government is such an organisation.  Maybe they have some spare money they
don't know what to do with?)