Just checking...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Tue, 23 May 2000 13:35:54 +0100

I should test that myself, but perhaps this is a quicker way...

How *portable* is the StandardBitmap stuff?

It seems that at least a substantial part of this OO.I/O is
written in Clean. I ask because I do not understand that:

"the only sensible information one can retrieve from a bitmap
 is its size".

I would like to:

1. Be able to draw PARTS of a bitmap
2. ... and to blit them using XOR or other combination protocol.
3. To store them on an external file using zlib (PNG format) or
   anything I manage to produce.
4. To be able to write a rotation procedure with, say, bicubic
   interpolation.
5. To be able to compute Fourier transforms, try the wavelet decom-
   positions etc.

So, in two words: I want to reinvent some wheels, which turn around
everywhere. Please don't tell me that I don't need all this code.
For pedagogic reasons it would be very nice to reimplement several
image processing pieces in a functional way. Clean seems to be much
more efficient than other functional languages in this contexts,
so...

M. Kesseler wrote a JPEG package, but - apparently - this is not (yet?)
complete (I might be wrong).

Best.

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France