DiVX contest... a chance for Clean rapid prototyping to shine?

Matthew Lye mlye@idirect.ca
Thu, 11 May 2000 11:53:59 -0400 (EDT)

  To promote the open-source development concept, the 'Flashing Yellow' website
has started a contest, the objective being to generate a QuickTime compatible
Macintosh viewer for Microsoft's 'DiVX' video compression codec.  The prize is
$5000 U.S. and a DV iMac.  They are considering  expanding the contest to
include anyone who comes up with an equally good or better video codec.

  I have absolutely no idea how well suited Concurrent Clean is to the general
task of video processing, and understand clean & combinator parsing in only the
broadest terms.  However, since this is essentially a reverse engineering
project (DiVX is Microsoft's proprietary modification of the in-development
public MPEG-4 codec) that involves parsing, I immediately thought of Clean both
in terms of parser combinators and development cycles.  Clean programs are easy
to modify and hard to introduce errors to.  The parser combinator parsing
strategy would seem to be pretty robust in terms of handling ambiguity and
errors, which would in turn seem to make them ideal for this sort of task, where
one essentially has to deduce a grammar.

  I figured I would post the news of the contest to the list, in case anyone is
working with video or graphics in Clean.  It would be good publicity for the
language (which, I admit, I more admire than understand), and hey...  free iMac.

  Flashing Yellow's contest news is at <http://flashingyellow.com/index.html>
  The contest FAQ is at <http://flashingyellow.com/faqs.html>

matt lye.