Runtime Safety of Programs

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.oz.au
Tue, 1 Feb 2000 20:12:37 +1100

On 31-Jan-2000, Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE <Erik.Zuurbier@klm.nl> wrote:

> The other lead is trying to find people who want to study exception handling
> and incorporate it in Clean, without
> compromising Clean's mathematical properties.

Here's a couple of references that may be of use if anyone is
interested in this.  The first [1] shows how you can incorporate
exception handling in a pure lazy functional language (Haskell) without
compromising the semantics.  The second [2] is an example
of how to support exception handling in a pure logic/functional
language (Mercury) that uses a notion similar to Clean's uniqueness
typing.  Unfortunate there's no paper on Mercury's exception
handling support yet, so I can only cite the reference manual that describes
the interface we use.

[1] A semantics for imprecise exceptions. Simon Peyton-Jones, Alastair Reid,
    Tony Hoare, Simon Marlow, and Fergus Henderson. Proceedings of the 1999
    ACM SIGPLAN Conference on Programming Language Design and Implementation,
    May 1999.

[2] The "exception" chapter of the Mercury library reference manual.
    <http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/research/mercury/information/doc/library_toc.html>.

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.