Runtime Safety of Programs

Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE Erik.Zuurbier@klm.nl
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 08:53:41 +0100

David,

Exception handling is certainly necessary in Clean, but currently lacking.
Division by zero can happen,
addressing non-existing array-cells is possible, the program can run out of
stack or heap, to mention but a
few nasty things.

One lead, which is currently followed by Nijmegen, is trying to prove that
your program will never divide by zero,
trying to prove that your program accesses only existing array-cells,
etcetera. Then you don't need exception handling.

The other lead is trying to find people who want to study exception handling
and incorporate it in Clean, without
compromising Clean's mathematical properties.

Regards,

Erik Zuurbier, KLM,
co-mail: SPL/XJ-831
phone: +31 20 649 6255