deltaPrint

Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE Erik.Zuurbier@klm.nl
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 09:54:51 +0100

Hi all,

I already had a program that draws fractals in a window by successively
drawing black points on a white background, with co-ordinates calculated by
some fractal formula. When I found out that Clean 1.3.2 features a
deltaPrint module, I added the possibility to print the fractal. But it
turns out to be very slow. The window-version displays tens of thousands of
points in a matter of seconds (on a PowerMac over 5 years old). So I thought
I could order a print of a milion points. After a long display of the window
that says that page #1 is being spooled to the disk for background printing,
I got a crash (error type 11).

So I reduced the print to 100,000 points. Still a very long processing time.
I decided not to wait for the program to terminate spontaneously. When I
ordered a fractal of 10,000 points, after quite a long time I got the print.
Why does it take such a long time compared to the window-drawing version? Is
it the intermediate pstscript file that contains 10,000 individual 'point
drawing instructions' rather than a single bit-map? Is there some way to get
the same performance the window drawing version has?

Regards,
Erik Zuurbier