use gui to build gui

Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira costa@ufu.br
Sat, 17 Jul 1999 14:42:33 -0300

Adrian Hey wrote:

> On Sat 17 Jul, Paul Dufresne wrote:
> > humm, that's a while since I admitted that the idea of making an editor
> > of dialogs wast mostly inspired by a paper from Luca Cardelli.
> >
> > How should I interpret this silence, is it that Clean people hate
> > Luca Cardelli, that you hate people that are unable to have ideas
> > by themselves or that you are still busy reading the paper?
>
> None of the above, I suspect. Ana Maria Abrao seemed to be trying to create
> such a tool (Visual Clean?) in this message..
>    http://www.cs.kun.nl/~clean/archives/clean-list/0719.html
>
> I don't know how far this has progressed.
>
> Regards
> --
> Adrian Hey

Ana Maria is in Netherlands right now.
As for the editor, the situation is the following:

1) Ana and co-workers(Saulo and Luiz Claudio) wrote a visual
editor to generate code for the Java VM. The source of this
editor is in her homepage.

2) The next step was to adapt the Java VM editor to generate Clean
source.
To this end, she changed the code generator, in order to get a Clean
program, instead of Java VM bytecode. She used the IO Library 0.8.
The editor is acceptable, and I am using it to teach undergraduate
students how to program in Clean.

3) The third step was to build an editor using the Object IO Library.
Ana couldnīt understand how to use the library to create dinamic
menus and dialogs. She couldn't understand the hints that people sent
her either. She became very frustrated with the results of her
research, stopped working in the project, and went to the
Netherlands, in order to learn a few words of Dutch and try to get
some information about functional programming.

Eduardo Costa