world as value

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 16:48:57 +1000

On 15-Jun-1999, Claus Reinke <czr@Cs.Nott.AC.UK> wrote:

> First (before anyone is scared away from clean i/o;-), let me point out
> that there are at least two levels to the problem: (a) how to integrate
> i/o cleanly into a purely functional language, (b) how to reason about
> multi-process systems where each process could be described as a purely
> functional program doing i/o.
>
> On one hand, nobody (I think) claims that the basis for Clean's i/o
> system is shaky, so there is little worry about (a). On the other hand,
> few (if any) would claim that Clean's approach to i/o makes the problems
> of reasoning about concurrent systems go away.

This is a good summary!

(Sorry to reply to this even though I have nothing substantive to add to it.
But I think in these long email discussions often the essential point is lost
amoungst the detail.  Thus I thought this point was worth emphasising.)

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.