toString for lists

Pieter Koopman pieter@cs.kun.nl
Tue, 01 Jun 1999 10:04:51 +0200

At 10:55 31/05/99 +0200, G.W.M. Vissers wrote:
>I was doing some debugging when I noticed how unfortunate the standard
>toString for lists is.
>The problem is that this method only works for lists of elements that can
>be converted into characters. For most types a toString is predefined, but
>not a toChar.

The class toString is constructed such that lists of characters will be
transformed to the 'corresponding' strings by toString. This does give
strange effects in other situations.
We consider to supply a class show in Clean 2.0.
For tracing you might be happy with the trace functions found in StdDebug.

Pieter Koopman