Installing fonts.

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Mon, 17 May 1999 14:28:51 +1200 (NZST)

Martin Wierich <martinw@cs.kun.nl> wrote

	Well, most people here don't have anything to do with the I/O
	stuff.  It's mainly me and Peter Achten who deal with that
	subject.  Peter is ill.  What wonders me is that no Clean users
	answered your question, and that there is no traffic on the
	Clean mailing list.  I wonder how many users we really have.

Well, I was off the list for a while because I was *forced* off with
no adequate explanation.  Here's hoping I'm finally back on.

Wierich's message is a splendid example of why Clean should be distributed
the same way that IBM's Java compiler "Jikes" is.  Yes, IBM have an
Open Source compiler for Java.  Mind you, with 22 thousand lines of header
(.h) files and 57 and a bit thousand lines of implementation (.cpp) files,
with sparing comments and *way* too many lines past the 80 column limit,
I don't suppose IBM are actually taking many risks with that...  But I
_can_ install it on a machine they haven't provided binaries for, and I
_can_, if sufficiently desperate, location information in it.