teaching Clean to undergraduate students

rinus plasmeijer rinus@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 15:43:58 +0200

Matt Fairtlough wrote:

> Dear Clean users,
>
> We are going to teach Clean to 120 first year undergraduate students
> for the first time next September, and I will be one of the lecturers.
>
> I understand that Clean is taught at Nijmegen (if I am right, I would
> be interested to know at which level it is taught), and I wonder if
> there are any suitable teaching materials for a first programming
> course for first year students?

We have teached Clean for many years to second year students.
This year, for the first time,
we have teached Clean in the first year, first semester.
There is an improved version of the book (not yet on the net due to lack
of time).
I fully admit that not all material is suited, especially the IO chapter
is much to hard for first year students.
Peter Achten has teached the IO stuf this year and prepared sheets and
lots of GUI exercises which might be useful.
We also work on an updated version of the tutorial on the Object IO
library written by Peter Achten (now including printing and TCP/IP
handling).
Perhaps we can work together to update the material such that we are
both happy?
For the new Clean compiler a new reference manual will be made as well.
Also a new Clean IDE using the Clean object I/O library is under
construction (a PC version first, Mac version later)
usinfg a new editor (written by Arjan IJzendoorn).
Suggestions for improvements are welcome.

Greetings,

Rinus