teaching Clean to undergraduate students

Antonio Eduardo Costa Pereira costa@ufu.br
Thu, 15 Apr 1999 09:01:57 -0300

Matt Fairtlough wrote:
> We will need a guide to the basic syntax and commonly used library functions,
with
> plenty of programming examples, and also a beginner's guide to using
> the IDE and writing simple Clean programs that is rather more
> extensive than the online help, as many students will have no
> programming experience at all.

Dear Matt.
Here, at UFU, beginners have three courses on programming: a very introductory
one,
where they do little more than getting used to the computer, functional and
logic programming,
and procedural programming. Students are free to start with functional and logic

programming or with procedural programming. Most choose to start with
functional programming. We do have teaching material on functional programming,
which is written in Latex. That material was written by Ana Maria, one of my PhD
students.
I want to emphasize, however, that we are in a not very competitive University.
This
means that we are not able to select the best students of the country. The
consequence
is that the teaching material must be really easy to read, cover quite
elementary topics,
and doesn't cover more advanced topics. Besides this, the lessons advance very
slowly.
Therefore, I don't think that our material will be suitable to students of an
European
University, where the standards of quality are much higher. However, if you want
see what Brazilian undergraduates study in LFL (Logic and Funcional Languages),
will be happy to send you the lessons.

Eduardo Costa