Operations on arrays

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 10:38:09 +1300 (NZDT)

John van Groningen

	Using
	:: Matrix :== !{#Vector}
	instead of
	:: Matrix :== !{Vector}

	may be even faster.
        The ! is probably not necessary.
        This does not unbox the Vector array,
        but removes an (ARRAY) indirection node that points to the Vector.

John van Groningen's responses have been *extremely* helpful, and this
one is no exception.  I've been using Clean for a while, off and on, and
so probably haven't read the current documentation with as much care and
attention as I should have.  I _was_ under the impression that {#x} was
only usable/useful when x = one of the primitive scalar types.

Of your kindness, could you explain in a little more detail
 - when {#x} _is_ usable
 - when {#x} is _useful_
 - what problems using {#x} creates
 - where this is explained in the reference manual.

It really does look as though the chapter on efficiency could do with
a bit of expansion.