[ Re: Anyone installed 1.3.2 on Solaris?]

Olivier Lefevre olefevre@usa.net
3 Mar 99 16:37:26 EST

Gert Veldhuijzen van Zanten <veldhvz@ipo.tue.nl> wrote:

> I got this problem, and fixed it using some advice from the Clean team.=

> =

>> There are two different install programs on Solaris. =

>> The Clean compiler should be installed with /usr/ucb/install. =

You will say I'm picking nits but it is evil of any program advertising
itself as a Solaris program to use the /usr/ucb stuff, which by definitio=
is compatibility stuff put here so that old SunOS4 programs and scripts
will still run (amusing factoid: think of ucb as "University of Californi=
at Berkeley"; that is not what the ucb acronym stands for but it is very
fitting nonetheless if you consider how BSDish SunOS4 was).

Actually, you must be *very* careful on Solaris what you are using becaus=
in many cases there are not 2 but up to 3 versions of an utility: the =

"standard" version (in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin), the compatibility version =

(in /usr/ucb/bin) and the X/Open version (in /usr/xpg4/bin). So, beware..=
=2E

Regards,

-- O.L.

Get free e-mail and a permanent address at http://www.netaddress.com/?N=3D=