[Re: [IDE features]]

OLIVIER LEFEVRE olefevre@usa.net
Tue, 02 Feb 1999 10:36:04

Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:

> Way back in the 70s, the Interlisp philosophy was
>
> 	A Program Is Not A Listing!

No need to dredge old ghosts from the abyss :) That is IBM's
Visual Age philosophy as well. I have read papers about how the
thing works and it does have some appeal but I even without knowing
how many people IBM has working on this, I seriously doubt that the
Clean team could muster the resources to develop something like it
(or like Interlisp).

Scriptability is an even more compelling idea but keep in mind
that an IDE is nothing but a bunch of built-in scripts with a
visual interface. If you put the power for full-blown scriptability
into the user's hands, do you still need the IDE or isn't emacs +
the scripting engine all you need?

-- O.L.