speed, etc.

Zuurbier, E. - AMSXE Erik.Zuurbier@KLM.NL
Mon, 1 Feb 1999 10:19:48 +0100

> Michal Gajda wrote:
>Any imperative algorithm can be theoretically 'simulated'
>in functional programming language with the same asymptotic time.

>Variables can be saved in state of the "world".Pointers and dynamically
>allocated structures can be simulated through dynamic arrays (using
>unique typing or monads to gain constant access time) which can
>extend or shrink in constant amortized time.

From literature I understood that Haskell had no in place update of a
single array element. Is that still the case? Is that a matter of extending
Haskell's implementation or is it theoretically impossible with monads?

If the latter is the case, would that mean that uniqueness types are
(curently)
the only way for a pure FP to make sure that any algorithm has the same time
complexity as it's imperative counterpart?

Erik Zuurbier