Clean arrays [was: The speed of Clean]

OLIVIER LEFEVRE olefevre@usa.net
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 22:45:30

Pascal Serraens wrote:

> Next to that I wrote a paper myself, comparing C, Clean and Glasgow
> Haskell for an array-intensive computation:

[...]

> So in general we can say that Clean is much faster in compilation
>(>10x). GHC produces better code for pure functional programs, while
> Clean is much better when doing array manipulations.

This is very interesting. As it happens, I was shopping for functional
array-oriented languages or the bits from which to build one (hence my
bickering about source). I already knew that Clean had good support
for arrays, better than Haskell (I got this from Simon Peyton-Jones
himself!) but even after reading your paper, I am left wanting for
more info about arrays specifically. Apart from that paper and the
Clean LRM, where else are Clean arrays discused?

Thanks,

-- O.L.