Clean List Traffic...

Matthew Lye mlye@trentu.ca
Tue, 16 Dec 97 19:05:04 -0400

On 12/16/97 06:32 PM, Nick Kallen wrote:

>For example, my last few posts asked
>    - when the concurrency constructs would be supported,
>    - whether or not the unix implementations would ever be updated

Since the concurrency was initially a central feature of the language, I
suppose they'll get around to it, some day.  (Now someone will be forced
to correct me).

Right now, I guess the clean team is probably wrapped up in holidays and
exams.  I was thinking more of a year ago or two, when the list seemed to
have a technical discussion or two ongoing at any time, with several
posts a day.  Looking at the patterns of who sent what over the past
month, it seems as if people are only paying attention when they have
questions:  most posts are replied to only by Mr. Wanders of cs.kun.nl
domain (today, by Mr. Schruer).

A good example of the difference is your reply "Re: Type Classes and the
StdEnv".  On a typical mailing list, this would have generated a good
thread on the trail of I/O Lib 1.0 hopes 'n dream, or a discussion of the
typing problem.

Personally, the low traffic makes me pretty nervous.  I'm generating a
significant fraction of the posts, and my posts are pretty much noise if
this is a serious computer science forum rather than a list about a
language.  Given that clean is elegant and fun, though, I'm surprised it
hasn't generated a following at least in the rest of the sciences.  It
would have been handy back when I was taking first year physics...

(I promise to stop referring to cs.kun.nl-land and find Nijmegen on a
map).

Matt Lye.