Haskell vs. Clean

S. Alexander Jacobson alex@interband.com
Wed, 3 Dec 1997 10:08:38 -0500 ()

I have recently to look more carefully into using functional programming
in some applications.

Having browsed through the functional languages three stand out:
Haskell, Clean, and Erlang.  The documentation I have read seems to focus
on very theoretical aspects of these languages.
Clean promises "lazy copying, abstract reduction and uniqueness typing",
but I am not sure what that means in real life (and I am not sure whether
those features have not also been adopted into e.g. Haskell or Erlang).
I am wondering if there is any documentation comparing these
languages/implementations in a practical programming context.

speed
ease-of-use/rapid-prototyping
interoperality with other systems (esp. SQL databases and CORBA)
scalability
robustness
non-toy production applications developed with the system

Would you build mission critical applications with any of these systems?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

-Alex-

S. Alexander Jacobson			Interband Communications
1-212-799-2645 voice			1-212-799-1075 fax