object I/O on Windows

Ron Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 1 Dec 1997 10:58:33 +0100

Paul de Mast wrote (to the Clean discussion list):

> Since the new object I/O library is only available for the Mac,
> Window user don't have the opportunity to try and use this library.

Porting the ObjectIO library to Windows has high priority.

> Maybe that window users can use new versions of Clean on a mac
> simulator for Windows. Does anyone have experience using Clean on a
> Mac simulator for Window machines?

I tried Clean (the 68k version) with Executor some time ago. Executor
is a product of Abacus Research and Development, Inc. Visit their web
site <http://www.ardi.com/> for more information. They also have a
time limited demo version available.

The Clean system works fine with Executor 2.0. There are two minor
problems:

   1) There are sometimes unnecessary recompiles. The Clean system saves
      font and window settings in the resource fork. Under the Executor
      emulator this affects the file time, which causes the Clean System
      to recompile the module.
   2) Launching the generated application from the Clean system doesn't
      work. This isn't really a problem, because you can also launch the
      application from the browser.

We've contacted ARDI about this. I haven't tried the latest version, so
perhaps the problems have been fixed.

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur