linkage problem under Linux/a.out

Ron Wichers Schreur ronny@cs.kun.nl
Thu, 6 Nov 1997 19:25:06 +0100

Rolf-Thomas Happe wrote to the Clean discussion list:

> I am having the following problem with Clean 1.1 on my Linux PC
> (kernel 1.2.3, a.out):

Hmmm, so there are still people using a.out.

> when I try to make a demo program in iodemos/ I get

>  ld: Output file requires shared library `libX11.so.3'
>  Linker exited abnormally
>
> Yet, this library is available, the library path /usr/X11/lib is
> put down in the linker options file, and strace (the syscall
> monitor) tells me that clm reads in (part of) this file.

I assume the link options file also contains the -lX11 option, as
it does in the distribution.

> I couldn't couldn't persuade  strace to tell me all arguments to
> system calls, so I don't know wether the linker options from x.lo
> are passed to the linker or not:

> [..]

You could try linking a smaller program, for example

    % cat t.icl
    module t
    Start = 17
    % clm -sl x t

With this program clm will only pass one object file to ld, which will
leave trace more room to display the options from the link options file.

> I'd appreciate to hear what I might possibly be doing wrong. Or, if
> another Linux user has met this problem, too, I'd love to hear how
> he solved it.

I'm sorry I don't have a direct answer for your problem. Good luck!

Cheers,

Ronny Wichers Schreur