Random numbers

Simon B Jones s.b.jones@cs.stir.ac.uk
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 10:09:05 +0000 (GMT)

Recently Jan Krynicky wrote:

> IMHO, it'd be nice to have it again. Random numbers seem to me a
> suitable place for droping ref.transparency. If I work with random
> numbers I don't suppose to get always the same result.
>
> Jenda

But...
... (perhaps) the Clean compiler does common subexpression elimination (or
other similar transformations/optimizations) - or may do at some time in
the future. Dropping the ref transp requirement may lead
to erroneous object code now, or a sudden change in program behaviour if
such transformation/optimization facilities are introduced in the future.
Ref transp guarantees that such changes do not alter program behaviour - in
software engineering considerations, I would say that that is a property we
must not sacrifice!

Regards  Simon

--
Dr Simon B Jones