[FieldTrip] Decimating high-resolution STLs for use in Fieldtrip

Nunez Ponasso, Guillermo gcnunez at wpi.edu
Fri Jan 26 22:35:58 CET 2024

Dear FieldTrip community,

My name is Guillermo Nunez Ponasso, and I am a post-doc working at Prof. Sergey Makaroff's lab at the Worcester Polytechnic Institute.

Recently, I have been getting familiar with FieldTrip, trying to create forward simulations using a volume conduction model with the 'bemcp' method.

Instead of starting from MRI images, I would like to use high-resolution STL meshes from FreeSurfer, or SPM-CAT. For this, I used the ft_read_headshape function, together with ft_prepare_headmodel, to create a headmodel from the STL meshes. This model is created successfully using the high-res meshes directly (except for a warning sign that the matrix may be nonsingular, which I presume is due to an issue with the meshes). However after reducing the number of points and triangles in the meshes, using the function ft_prepare_headmodel with the low-res meshes causes MATLAB to crash in my machine.

The way I am reducing the resolution of the meshes is via the MATLAB function reducepatch – I thought that I may be causing some issues by doing so.

Is there a way to decimate high-res meshes into low-res meshes using FieldTrip functions, so that ft_prepare_headmodel will work correctly?

Any help is much appreciated,

Best,
Guillermo