[FieldTrip] Problems with TMS-EEG dataset

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Tue Feb 27 10:11:28 CET 2024

Dear Stefan,

It looks as if you got quite far already, but indeed the residual of the TMS artifact is still quite large. I must say that I don’t quite understand what you did in your step (2), but I assume that this was dealing “only” with the very early stuff after the TMS pulse. Clearly - in your data - quite a few electrodes have longer lasting effects (that actually last up until the onset of the next pulse), that might not be of neural origin. A fundamental problem in your experimental design is the fact that the TMS pulses are synchronous with the events of interest (i.e. the picture onset). Any heuristic that uses temporal information about the TMS-pulses runs the risk of throwing out the baby with the bathwater. Yet, one thing you might try (as an alternative to your step (4)) is an approach that is documented here: https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/example/use_denoising_source_separation_dss_to_remove_ecg_artifacts/<https://eur01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.fieldtriptoolbox.org%2Fexample%2Fuse_denoising_source_separation_dss_to_remove_ecg_artifacts%2F&data=05%7C02%7Cfieldtrip%40science.ru.nl%7C21e81d7cfa2f4eca224408dc377414ce%7C084578d9400d4a5aa7c7e76ca47af400%7C1%7C0%7C638446218901934392%7CUnknown%7CTWFpbGZsb3d8eyJWIjoiMC4wLjAwMDAiLCJQIjoiV2luMzIiLCJBTiI6Ik1haWwiLCJXVCI6Mn0%3D%7C0%7C%7C%7C&sdata=Wfl5QKXpB%2BNcs%2B7F5n%2B69UFJCPQRD42pWrypr7pLv7A%3D&reserved=0>

The idea would be to use the onsets of the TMS-pulses to inform the dss-algorithm (rather than the locations of the ECG’s QRS peaks) for the unmixing estimation. Specifically, you would execute the ‘DSS component rejection’ step (after adjusting the cfg.dss.wdim to be at least smaller than your number of electrodes, and after specificying ‘params.artifact’ in a way that the code can interpret it. Perhaps you would need to run the example code step by step (using the associated data) with the matlab debugger switched on to see how you can adjust the code to your needs.

No guarantee, but possibly the dss-algorithm - with a careful selection of components to be rejected - might be able to strike a good balance between reducing the artifact, and keeping the relevant signal in the data.
Obviously, it is the hope that - once you start looking at difference waves - any residual artifact (which is supposed to be condition independent) subtracts out.

If all of this doesn’t work well, the only thing to do would be to discard electrodes that are close to the stimulation site, at the risk of them actually being the interesting ones.

Good luck and keep up the good work,
Jan-Mathijs