[FieldTrip] Correcting for multiple cluster analyses?

David Prete preted at mcmaster.ca
Tue Oct 17 19:47:54 CEST 2023

Hello Everyone,

I asked this question last week, but it didn't show up in my Fieldtrip
emails so I'm trying to send this again to see if it works this time.
Sorry if you're seeing this twice.

I have run multiple cluster-based permutation analyses and I am
wondering if I need to correct for multiple comparisons and how
exactly would I do that? I know there was a previous thread that
suggested using Bonferroni correction but not how to apply the
correction. If I run the cluster analysis 9 times in total based on
different time windows and comparing different conditions, would I
divide 0.05 by 9 to get a corrected p-value of  0.00556? Or do I need
to correct based on the total number of clusters found from the 9
times I ran the analysis? So, for example let's say each time I ran
the analysis I found a positive and negative cluster leading to 18
different p-values, would the correction be 0.05 divided by 18?

Thank you,
David Prete (he/him)
Ph.D. Candidate
McMaster University