[FieldTrip] Inquiry Regarding Coregistration Procedure & Silicone Ear Molds

Till Habersetzer till.habersetzer at uni-oldenburg.de
Wed Nov 29 13:10:01 CET 2023

Dear community,

As a PhD student at CvO University in Oldenburg, Germany, I am currently involved in research utilizing the Neuromag TRIUX system. One of our goals is to enhance the robustness of our coregistration procedure.
Checking the FieldTrip website (https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_are_the_lpa_and_rpa_points_defined/), I noticed your use of silicone ear molds with small vitamine E MRI markers.
At our MEG lab, we aim to replicate your coregistration procedure using the silicone ear molds, and I have some questions that arose.

Costum-Made Vitmine E marker
Could you share technical specifications for replicating the marker attached to the ear mold? Details such as dimensions, material, and filling it with vitamine E would be immensely helpful.
Will the markers need refilling over time?

Marker Safety & Placement
Is the vitamin marker securely attached to the ear mold and positioned towards the ear canal? Is there any risk of it getting lost in the ear canal during usage?

Coregistration Process
During MEG coregistration without the marker attached, how do you digitize the LPA and RPA points? Is the position using the Polhemus pen through the ear mold hole aligned with the marker's position during MRI attachment, or is there an alternative digitization procedure?

Silicone Ear Molds
Do you utilize vented Docs' Proplugs (https://www.proplugs.com/p-212-docs-proplugs-vented-clear-combo-pack.aspx), and are there alternative vendors available outside the US, potentially in Europe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much, and all the best,