[FieldTrip] Projection of simulated source activity to the surface EEG

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon May 15 14:46:07 CEST 2023

Dear Nina,

Well, it sounds as if you’re almost there! Indeed, as you indicate yourself, dipole orientation plays a role here. The ’times 3’ in the output to ft_compute_leadfield results from the fact that a forward model has been computed for 3 dipoles at each of the locations (i.e. a unit amplitude dipole pointing into the x/y/z/ direction respectively). If your generative model for your data is based on the idea that a single point dipole with fixed orientation per region describes the sources per regions well enough, then you’d need to decide on an optimal orientation for each dipole, express this as a unit norm vector, and use these dipole moments to reduce your 128 x 270 matrix to a 128 x 90 matrix. This could be either done per region (i.e. take each 128 x 3 ‘leadfield’, and multiply that with the each regions 3x1 dipole moment), or in a single matrix multiplication, where you make a large block diagonal matrix of all dipole moments (which would result in a [128x270] * [270x90] matrix multiplication, where the latter matrix is a (in matlab speak) blkdiag of all [3x1] moment vectors). Indeed, once you ‘lf’ is a 128 x 90 you can create your (average referenced) EEG timeseries just by means of a matrix multiplication (plus the optional addition of electrode noise).

I guess the challenge now is to come up with a meaningfully defined orientation for each of the regions. Given that the atlas is a volumetric one, it’s not straightforward to apply a heuristic that is based on the dominant orientation of the cortical surface in the parcel (which is the first thing I’d consider). Is there a possibility that you could use a surface based atlas, which would allow for such a heuristic?

Best wishes, and keep up the good work,
Jan-Mathijs