[FieldTrip] mtmconvol with hanning window

Jochem Rieger jochem.rieger at uni-oldenburg.de
Mon Jul 31 16:32:28 CEST 2023

Hi Dan,

think of short term fft as windowing with a rectangular window. This has
rather bad frequency resolution (wide central lobe, many side lobes in
the amplitude spectrum). It produces "veridical" values for the
amplitude estimate over the analysis  interval (your window length)

The other methods underestimate the amplitudes systematically. If you
are only interested in relative amplitudes (most cases) that doesn't
matter.

The Hanning window improves the cross talk and is typically applied
once  the whole intervall and then an FFT is calculated to get the
amplitude spectrum. The cost for that improvement is that the amplitude
estimate are biased towards the center of the window and the amplitude
values are underestimated.

Multitaper analysis applies multiple orthogonal windows and obtains by
that approach multilple amplitude spectra, which are then combined for
the final estimate. Approach reduces the noise in the amplitude
spectrum  lets  you trade-off frequency resolution against noise.

When you write multiple sliding windows you likely refer to the Welch
method which applies multiple shorter and partly overlapping tapers to
the analysis interval and then combines those correlated amplitude
estimates. This method reduces the noise in the amplitude spectrum. In
principle, you could use different types of windows.

Hope that helps,

     Jochem

On 27.07.23 18:43, Weisholtz, Daniel S.,MD via fieldtrip wrote:

> ACHTUNG!Diese E-Mail kommt von Extern! WARNING! This email originated
> off-campus.
>
> Dear FieldTrip community,
>
> I understand that using the hanning window with this function will
> make this function use a single sliding taper window rather than
> multitaper. Does that make this analysis equivalent to a short-time
> fft analysis? If you do this, will FieldTrip ignore the tapsmofrq
> parameter?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Best,
> Dan
>
> The information in this e-mail is intended only for the person to whom
> it is addressed.  If you believe this e-mail was sent to you in error
> and the e-mail contains patient information, please contact the Mass
> General Brigham Compliance HelpLine at
> https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-UMNRq4rK2lyaAG8yIA6-u8wPh3_Ic4bONsCzmSVBYJvI7KL-OF49B7YMouv8_fdUNpmkV9OETzEF9L3eX1WFqiwLBLSsqU7MZC-$
> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://www.massgeneralbrigham.org/complianceline__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!7ovUlGSjoWDr5hgm-8LtXafsrV7u0NldtHxKt_cvyGdQtbVmGm0WbveiDlGV2CF8u4Vf0JR4t51KWGto-PrTyIL-KXo69Egm$>
> .
>

> Please note that this e-mail is not secure (encrypted).  If you do not
> wish to continue communication over unencrypted e-mail, please notify
> the sender of this message immediately.  Continuing to send or respond
> to e-mail after receiving this message means you understand and accept
> this risk and wish to continue to communicate over unencrypted e-mail.

Jochem Rieger
Prof. Dr. rer. nat. habil.
Applied Neurocognitive Psychology
DFG Center for Open and Reproducible Neuroscience Tools
NFDI sections ELSA and metadata

Carl-von-Ossietzky University Oldenburg
Phone: +49 (0)441 798 4533
Web: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://uol.de/en/applied-neurocognitive-psychology__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-UMNRq4rK2lyaAG8yIA6-u8wPh3_Ic4bONsCzmSVBYJvI7KL-OF49B7YMouv8_fdUNpmkV9OETzEF9L3eX1WFqiwLBLSsuSroRqJ$
github: https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://github.com/ANCPLabOldenburg__;!!HJOPV4FYYWzcc1jazlU!-UMNRq4rK2lyaAG8yIA6-u8wPh3_Ic4bONsCzmSVBYJvI7KL-OF49B7YMouv8_fdUNpmkV9OETzEF9L3eX1WFqiwLBLSsvYGzS6g$