[FieldTrip] mtmconvol with hanning window (Jochem Rieger)

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Aug 7 19:26:14 CEST 2023

Dear Dan,

Indeed, it is a bit confusing that the ‘mtmconvol’ method in FieldTrip also allows for single tapers, e.g. the Hanning taper.

Once you use cfg.method = ‘mtmconvol’ (or ‘mtmfft’), and NOT use cfg.taper = ’dpss’/’sine’ then no multitapers will be applied (and also the cfg.tapsmofrq parameter will become irrelevant).

Perhaps this could be documented a bit better, e.g. in the function’s help, and on an appropriate location on the website. So, if you feel adventurous, we are open to suggestions.

In your case, I would describe the part of the methods where you used the Hanning taper for a time-frequency decomposition something like: we applied a sliding time window based Fourier transform to the data, using a Hanning taper to control for spectral leakage.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs