[FieldTrip] Dealing with warning message "data contians NaN values"

Jeremy Pulmano jpulmano at princeton.edu
Wed Jul 17 17:26:52 CEST 2019

Hi all,

I am new to both neuroscience and FieldTrip and am trying to debug my
preprocessing pipeline of EEG data (biosemi .bdf files). These are the
current steps:

   1. High pass filtering
   2. Downsampling
   3. Epoching
   4. Base-line correction
   5. Re-referencing
   6. ICA / component rejection
   7. Visual artifact removal
   8. Low pass filter (I save the low pass filter for the end so that ICA
   yields better time course plots).

However, after the first three steps (high pass, downsample, epoch), I
continue to get the warning message: "Warning: data contains NaN values, no
filtering or preprocessing applied," starting at baseline correction. It
repeats itself over and over again. If I ignore these errors, the data
looks incorrect in the end. Why does this happen, and how can I resolve
this?

Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,