[FieldTrip] Beamforming in FieldTrip and Brainstorm

Ioanna Zioga i.zioga at qmul.ac.uk
Wed Apr 17 12:08:29 CEST 2019

Hi All,

I'm Ioanna and I'm a PhD student in Queen Mary University of London, doing EEG research on music learning and creativity [:slight_smile:]

My question is on using Brainstorm and FieldTrip interchangeably to do beamforming on EEG data recorded by a 64-channel EGI system.

I haven't found an option to compute the cross-spectral density matrix for the beamforming in Brainstorm. On the other hand, with Brainstorm I could quite easily create a head model for the 64-channel EGI system my data were recorded with.

Therefore, I was wondering if I could:

  1.  Calculate the cross-spectral density in Fieldtrip (ft_freqanalysis)
  2.  Create the head model in Brainstorm
  3.  Run the source analysis in Fieldtrip (ft_sourceanalysis) using the head model from Brainstorm

Q1: How can I use the head model (as computed in Brainstorm) in FieldTrip to run the ft_sourceanalysis function? What is the format that the head model structure should have?

Q2: Does anyone have a FieldTrip head model for a 64-channel EGI system?

Any help would be very much appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance,
Ioanna