[FieldTrip] anatomical labelling of dipole positions

Tom Marshall t.marshall at fcdonders.ru.nl
Tue Aug 26 17:49:17 CEST 2014

Hi Trippers,

I have performed dipole fitting on some data and I would like to
identify the anatomical regions in which various dipoles are located -
ie, to make statements of the sort, 'dipole X was (best) localised to
the right superior parietal cortex'. Specifically - I have the output
from ft_dipolefitting which gives positions in the head space of the
individual subjects, and I would like to anatomically label the dipoles
according to the AAL atlas, which is based on the MNI template brain.

I *think* what I will need to do is apply some warping of the subject
MRI to the MNI template, and then apply the same warping to the dipole
co-ordinate. However it is not clear to me how to warp a single point,
rather than an entire volume. Is there some fieldtrip function that
could be used for this?

I do not think the approach detailed in
/<http://fieldtrip.fcdonders.nl/example/create_single-subject_grids_in_individual_head_space_that_are_all_aligned_in_mni_space>/
will be much use here, since (if I understand correctly) the MNI-aligned
grid created here would only be used as a starting point for
ft_dipolefitting. In the end a given dipole might not correspond to any
grid point.

Can anybody advise me on how to set about this?

Thanks a lot.

Best,
Tom