[clean-list] Alternate iTasks Client

Bas Lijnse b.lijnse at cs.ru.nl
Wed Apr 13 09:35:47 MEST 2011

Hi Eric,

> I am trying to create an alternate iTasks2 client. While the papers I
> have read say that this is possible, I haven't found much
> documentation on how this might be accomplished. I have been able to
> piece together some clues from looking at the iTasks SDK code but some
> things are still not clear to me.
This is certainly possible, but indeed not really documented.
> Would someone be kind enough to offer a description of the exact
> interface and what messages are being passed between the iTasks server
> and a client? All I know right now is that the client sends POST
> requests and receives JSON.

I have created a Wiki page on which I'll post an overview of the JSON
API in the upcoming days. The url is
https://wiki.clean.cs.ru.nl/Interfacing_with_the_iTasks_JSON_API. It is
still empty now, but you can "watch" the page to receive updates.
> Also, the iTasks server seems to need know about the location of a
> client program before compilation. Can the iTasks server be built
> alone and operate by simply sending JSON to a remote client.
The only reason the server wants to know where the client files are is
that it also serves the static client content.
The client location is similar to the documentroot location of apache.
This location is not used for interaction with the JSON API.

Best,
Bas