[clean-list] Missing libraries in the Linux version of Clean

Arjen van Weelden A.vanWeelden at cs.ru.nl
Sat Jun 24 20:16:28 MEST 2006

Hi Romildo,

I noticed the same thing, usually I have to copy Generics and
MersenneTwister from the Windows distribution. Any library that does not
contain specific Windows-API calls should work fine. I don't think it
has anything to do with errors in packaging.

The old way forced one to download many small libraries. The current way
makes the distribution very large and one uses only a small part of it.
Both have their pro's and con's. Apparently, the current difference in
size/completeness is confusing. Since Windows is the main development
platform for Clean, it's understandable that it is the most complete
distribution. Another advantage (for Windows users) is that all included
libraries are tested with the new compiler system of each release.

Personally, I think that the Windows distribution contains too many
libraries and the other distributions too few. Perhaps it would be nicer
to have Clean distributions with all platform specific libraries and a
separate download with platform independent libraries. Unfortunately,
one could easily end up in Version Hell by mixing the wrong distribution
with the wrong libraries. This would also make reproducing bug reports
more difficult.

just my thoughts on the subject,
	Arjen