[clean-list] Clean in the Real World

Brent Fulgham brent.fulgham@xpsystems.com
Mon, 8 Dec 2003 15:19:30 -0800

> Clean lacks exception handling though. If (a part of) an
> application runs out of stack or heap space, the application
> just quits.

This makes some sense, since Exceptions (by their nature) are not functional.  However, from a pragmatic standpoint I wonder if their lack may make writing robust software in Clean more difficult.

Does Clean provide something like the exception model proposed in Simon Peyton-Jones et. al "A Semantics for Imprecise Exceptions" (http://research.microsoft.com/Users/simonpj/Papers/imprecise-exn.htm)?

What is the recommended approach for dealing with exceptional/error conditions in Clean?

-Brent