[clean-list] Problem with "Small Examples"

Jerzy Karczmarczuk karczma@info.unicaen.fr
Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:52:25 +0200

> Brian Wilfley:

> On the Windows version, I've had problems running the "Small Examples". ...

> I get back:
>         "Error: [.icl,<module>]: could not be opened"

Siegfried Gonzi:

> You are not alone. This is also in my case so. But I didn't care. I
> thought after getting deeper into Clean it will be possible for me to
> fix the problem.

===

Some other people responded, mentioning the project file etc.
In fact, what is more important is the search path of the environment.
If you have problems now, you will have much more with I/O examples,
where you will have to declare not only the standard Object IO bunch,
but also Windows-specific library, sometimes GUI utilities, etc.

Anyway, read the documentation.
I am a very lousy programmer, but I had no problems with standard Clean
examples after 5 minutes of thinking.

On the other hand, [a very sardonic smile is appropriate here] DON'T TRY
to test the examples from the Object IO tutorial. Some of them work OK, and
are very nice. Other are hopelessly obsolete.

In general, Clean doc needs some cleaning...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk
Caen, France