[clean-list] Re: Clean.

Peter Achten peter88@cs.kun.nl
Mon, 08 Jan 2001 12:03:23 +0100

At 09:29 7-1-01 -0800, Zeno wrote:

>After reading your post, I tried Bounce.  The balls do go fast even on
>a 166mz machine.  I was, however able to see them move very slowly by
>selecting 'About' from the menu and leaving the 'About' window open.
>Also, by opening the menu and hovering over it, I can (temporarily)
>freeze the display, then by moving over the menu in slight increments,
>I can watch individual position updates of the balls.
>
>Why does the program slow down so much when other windows are open or
>when moving around in the menu?  Does this mean that if I have a
>program running a process and someone opens (and leaves open) another
>window, the background process will slow to a snail's pace?
The program slows down due to a combination of menu selection and the way
we have implemented timers. Fixing this behaviour hasn't had a high
priority, so you may want to consider this to be an "undocumented
feature"... It does not affect other applications running on your system,
just the application of which you are selecting a menu.

>Also, the balls move in a white area surrounded by a dark gray area.
>The dark gray area is inconsistent.  It is always different at the
>lower right of window B, and different about 50% of the time at the
>bottom of window A.  I assume the bottom of the windows should look
>just like the top, which is the case half of the time in window A.  Is
>this a bug in the windowing routines?  (I will be happy to shrink some
>images of what I am seeing and send them if it will help.)
This is a known bug that we have fixed in our local new version of the
Object I/O library. I can't predict when this new version will be
distributed, but it will be announced on the clean mailing list.

Thank you for your remarks,

Peter Achten