[ANN] Directory 1.0 released

Fergus Henderson fjh@cs.mu.OZ.AU
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:46:39 +1100

On 01-Dec-1999, Martin Wierich <martinw@cs.kun.nl> wrote:
> > 3)      Even without any platform changes, a developer cannot currently
> > create an application that is independent from whether the platform is mac
> > or Windows, if (s)he wants to use the creation time, as (s)he would have to
> > make the distinction between winCreationTime and  macCreationTime everywhere
> > in the code. Just because a totally unrelated platform (UNIX) does not
> > support it. I don't call that platform independence. I call that platform
> > HYPER dependence.
>
> getCreationTime (WindowsFileInfo {winCreationTime}) = winCreationTime
> getCreationTime (MacFileInfo {macCreationTime}) = macCreationTime
> getCreationTime (UnixFileInfo _) = abort "This program is not supposed to run
> under Unix"

I think the point is that that code should be in the library,
not in the user's code.

P.S.
What happens if you're using a Windows file system, but you're
accessing it from a Unix system (e.g. via the smbfs or vfat file systems
on Linux) or vice versa (e.g. via Samba)?

PGP: finger fjh@128.250.37.3        |     -- the last words of T. S. Garp.