CLAS

Richard A. O'Keefe ok@atlas.otago.ac.nz
Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:38:39 +1300 (NZDT)

Thorsten Zoerner writes

	>"unifies" should be "uniquifies" (ugh)
	Thanks. I have corrected them - I don't like "uniquifies" though.

Neither do I, as the "ugh" indicates.  Unifies is certainly dead wrong,
because it does not have any connection with "making unique".  To all
Clean list readers:  what _is_ a good word for making something unique
so that the * annotation can correctly be used with it?

	>2.  Because Clean is a layout-sensitive language,
	>    DISTRIBUTED CLEAN SOURCES SHOULD NEVER *EVER* CONTAIN TABS.

	You are probably unaware of the 'Format' item under the 'Edit'
	menu of the CleanIDE.  There you can actually set your tabbing
	instead of guessing it.

But this is completely back to front.  To start with, I wasn't using
the Clean IDE.  Then there's the fact that no matter _what_ I do in
the Clean IDE, it has _no_ effect on the print command or other tools
I use.  Then there's the point that what's needed is *not* the tab
size of *my* choice, I need to know the tab size of the *author's*
choice or things won't line up properly.  Distributing files in UNIX
format that do not use the UNIX convention for tabs is not a very
helpful thing to do.

And no, I am *not* unaware of the Edit|Format dialogue box (it's not
a menu), it just wasn't any use to me.