[Re: Open Clean Source]

Jan Brosius jan.brosius@village.uunet.be
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:39:39 +0100

----------
> From: John van Groningen <johnvg@cs.kun.nl>
> To: clean-list@cs.kun.nl
> Subject: Re: [Re: Open Clean Source]
> Date: Tuesday, February 02, 1999 12:36 PM
>
>John wrote

> The stosd instruction is faster on the Pentium2 and K6 (1 clock) than it
is on the Pentium, but the latter code is still faster.

> 2. SML detects integer arithmetic overflows, C and Clean do not. It is
implemented with a 'into' instruction after an arithmetic instruction. This
instruction is slow on the Pentium, 4 clocks and not pairable. It is also
slow on the Pentium2 (a complex 5 micro ops instruction) and K6 (complex, 4
clocks ?).

Since the AMD K6 and AMD K7 are now becoming serious competitors of Intel's
Pentium II, I wonder If the Clean Team could easily (and also will do)
make an NT binary oc Clean1.3.1 for the AMD K6 and higher?

Jan