random numbers

Manfred Schmidt-Schauss schauss@ki.informatik.uni-frankfurt.de
Tue, 19 Dec 1995 09:39:40 +0100 (MET)

Concerning random numbers and I/O,
I think that there is a way to permit this in a functional language.
It can be done by viewing getting a random nunmber as a
non-deterministic I/O.
There must be some precaution in using this:
Some compiler optimization are no longer allowed: common subexpression
elimination, certain forms of parital evaluation, the generalization to
lambda-lifting using MFE's .
I think there some foundational work is to be done in this direction. Bjoern
Lispers contribution to this mailing list point in this direction.

See for example the informal paper on I/O in Natural Expert in
Proc. Functional Programming Galsgow 1991, Workshops in Computing,
 Springer-Verlag

 regards,
    Manfred

Manfred Schmidt-Schau"s